Reporting to the Lead Environmental Inspector and Environmental Manager, this position will be responsible for conducting environmental inspections, monitoring, and sampling tasks, as required to accurately check all construction activities and document compliance with the environmental obligations and commitments of the project. The inspector’s role will be performed on an active construction site where multidisciplinary experience or knowledge with environmental protection measures and typical construction activities will be required.
Role and General Responsibilities
- Monitor and inspect construction activities daily and document compliance of environmental obligations; permits and approvals; policy and best management practices using an online tool.
- Ensure environmental issues are addressed and requirements are met in accordance with the Environmental approvals and Project Agreement.
- Determine the nature of environmental deficiencies and provide recommendations and actions to be taken to ensure compliance and prevent or mitigate potential environmental impacts.
- Investigate environmental incidents and public complaints related to environmental matters, and effectively report findings and recommendations.
- Communicate with the environmental, design and construction teams.
- Support environmental third-party vendors at the project site as needed.
- Supervision and coordination and reporting of spills and remedial activities.
- Conduct air and noise monitoring using supplied hand-held equipment and provide data for reporting purposes.
- Collection and analysis of soil and water samples, including chain-of-custody documentation.
- Provide Environmental Awareness and Orientation Training through on-site toolbox talks and procedure rollouts and advise project team members in support of environmental compliance requirements.
- Promote environmental awareness of the Project Agreement environmental requirements.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- Post-secondary degree specializing in environmental science/management, or diploma specializing in environmental compliance management/technology/engineering.
- 1-3 years’ experience in construction and environment-related field.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Understanding of the scope of large infrastructure projects.
- Knowledge of project management processes.
- Proficiency in MS Office applications.
- Systematic and structured problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work independently on assigned tasks and as part of a larger team.
- Able to perform in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to carry drawings and diaries as required.
- Ability to use stairs, ladders and climb over rough terrain.
- Primary work location is project site office.
- Project related travel anticipated.
- Exposure to construction work site environment in all seasons.
- Valid G driver’s license
- Good organizational and planning skills, detail oriented, superior analytical and written skills.
- Solid networking and interpersonal skills.
- Strong presentation skills, able to explain concepts concisely and accurately.