|The Assistant Superintendent – Roadworks (SL) works on-site with the construction teams and will be responsible for the supervision of the civil construction on the project. He or she will be responsible to assist in the supervision of crews and subcontractors and coordinate the work with the other trades on the project. The Assistant Superintendent, Roadworks -Civil will report to the General Superintendent and work with the Civil Field Engineer to ensure that the work complies with the safety policies, budget, and schedule.
Role and General Responsibilities
- Develop construction work methods for drainage, roadworks, MSE walls, wetland rehabilitation, utilities relocations, etc.
- Direct all field personnel and subcontractors to achieve completion of projects on schedule, within budget, with quality workmanship that conforms to plans and specifications.
- Review and understand project drawings and identify potential changes required.
- Promote and enforce safety and environmental policies and procedures.
- Supervise and mentor construction crews.
- Coordinate material deliveries.
- Order and maintain in good order all tools.
- Communicate with clients, subcontractors, architects, stakeholders, engineers, and project delivery team.
- Coordinate survey crews and technical team with the construction schedule.
- Plan equipment rental.
- Coordinate the sequence of work with the other trades on the project like bridge construction and trackwork construction.
- Keep logs of site activity and report issues in a timely manner to the Construction Manager.
- Ensure that the quality standards are met and generate NCRs and deficiency lists as required.
- Maintain proper site tidiness, access, fencing and signage.
- Reviews and approves timesheets for accuracy, job coding, equipment, material, etc.
- Participates in invoicing, identifies, and administers extra to be invoiced.
- Establishes and maintains effective relationships with internal and external stakeholders, acts as a liaison among owners, inspectors, staff, and subcontractors.
- Assists with the preparation of written reports and/or updates for management, client, and project team, to ensure a clear understanding of project status.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- High School graduation plus post-secondary training in a related field or equivalent education, training, and experience.
- A minimum of 5 years recent related construction experience including a thorough knowledge of construction industry practices, methods, and processes. Prior railway experience is an asset.
- 2+ years experience in a supervisory position. Proof of recognized supervision or leadership training.
- Demonstrated experience applying knowledge of safety practices, resource management, material management and subcontractor management.
- Track record of successfully executing projects on schedule and within budget.
- Valid and clean Driver’s License.
- Enthusiasm for challenge and new initiatives are prerequisites as well as being open for promotion by learning and understanding construction methods and developing good construction management skills.
- Work diligently with internal construction team.
- Able to communicate with subcontractors and laborers.
- Able to perform in a fast-paced environment.
- Walking, lifting, etc.
- Able to work on an active construction site.
- Willingness to contribute actively to a team environment
- Proficient in the English language (Written, reading and speaking)
- Ability to communicate and develop relations.
- Valid License