Senior Estimator is responsible for the overall planning and coding efforts to produce comprehensive project cost estimates. The successful applicant will provide data and cost analysis for estimate review and presentations, will be responsible for developing bid strategies, site investigations, managing contracts, takeoffs, detailed breakdown of cost components, indirect cost and analysis of margins.
Role and Responsibilities
- Reviews and evaluates requests for estimates.
- Reviews estimates and revisions for completeness and accuracy.
- Reviews construction documents and understands scope of work to bid.
- Prepare cost analysis by recapitulating material, labor, equipment, subcontractor, and overhead costs occurred in heavy civil industry projects.
- Executes take-offs of construction documents.
- Inputs take-offs data into spreadsheets.
- Utilize the company approved costing methodology, data, and systems to present estimate results in a detailed breakdown format suitable for use by the project manager and the project team.
- Attend client pre-bid meetings and job showing, visit job sites, and keep a record of all verbal information disseminated by the client during the pre-bid meeting and job showing.
- Prepare project cost estimates from the client’s RFQ documents and drawings and any other information learned during the pre-bid showing.
- Must have ability to explain details behind each estimate, including the basis of the man-hours allocated for each task, personnel resources needed to execute each task, etc.
- Maintain cost estimating tools including databases, spreadsheets, and other computer-based applications to keep updated information on past performance and industry standards.
- Assists Project Manager on alternative project execution approaches based on the scope of work and the most cost-effective execution methods available.
- Maintain lines of communications between company departments, project manager, and client with regards to cost estimating activities.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- Minimum of 8 years of experience as a Lead or Senior Estimator on Relevant Heavy Civil Construction Required.
- Experience estimating multiple projects in excess of $25 Million.
- Experience estimating mass excavation and utility projects, storm water, bridges, treatment plants, pump stations Required.
- B.S. Degree in Engineering, Construction Management, or related field is Preferred although not mandatory with solid experience.
- Flexibility to effectively deal with changing priorities and timelines through analytical problem-solving.
- Able to work independently and in a collaborative team-oriented environment.
- Displays superior written and oral communication skills.
- Good initiative, attention to details.
- Experience in P3 procurement processes is desirable.
- Ability to work with deadlines and in a team environment.
- Good knowledge of local trades and subcontractors.
- Good knowledge of contracts, codes, industry practices, and key trade contractors.