|The Superintendent Roadworks-Civil works are on-site with the construction teams and will be responsible for the supervision of the civil construction on the project. He or she will be responsible for the supervision of crews and subcontractors and coordinate the work with the other trades on the project. The Superintendent, Roadworks -Civil will report to the Construction Manager or his designate and work with the Civil Field Engineer to ensure that the work complies with the safety policies, budget and schedule.
Role and General Responsibilities
- Develop construction work methods for drainage, roadworks, MSE walls, wetland rehabilitation, utility relocations, etc.
- Direct all field personnel and subcontractors to achieve completion of projects on schedule, within budget, with quality workmanship that conforms to plans and specifications.
- Demonstrates leadership in health, safety and environmental protection on the project.
- Ensures project materials are supplied and work is completed in compliance with the project quality program.
- Ensures that projects are built according to approved plans, specifications, shop drawings, and applicable building codes and that high-quality standards are maintained.
- Develops, maintains and drives the construction schedule in conjunction with the project team, ensuring project milestones and completion dates are met.
- Issues material and services purchase orders and confirm receipt of materials and return of equipment.
- Supervises field employees, making sure their work is planned and performed efficiently and making sure their timesheets are accurately coded.
- Mentors project team members in order to contribute to their development and career growth.
- Leads project meetings with internal and external stakeholders to monitor and support the project’s ongoing progression.
- Maintains a thorough daily report that accurately tracks site progress, events, inspections and other relevant information.
- Supervise and mentor construction crews.
- Coordinate the sequence of work with the other trades on the project like bridge construction and trackwork construction.
- Keep logs of site activity and report issues in a timely manner to the Construction Manager.
- Ensure that the quality standards are met and generate NCRs and deficiency lists as required.
- Maintain proper site tidiness, access, fencing and signage.
- Reviews and approves timesheets for accuracy, job coding, equipment, material, etc.
- Participates in invoicing, identifies and administers extra to be invoiced.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- High School graduation plus post-secondary training in a related field or equivalent education, training and experience.
- A minimum of 5 years of recent related construction experience including thorough knowledge of construction industry practices, methods and processes. Prior railway experience is an asset.
- 3+ years experience in a supervisory position. Proof of recognized supervision or leadership training.
- Demonstrated experience applying knowledge of safety practices, resource management, material management and subcontractor management.
- Track record of successfully executing projects on schedule and within budget.
- Valid and clean Driver’s License.
- Enthusiasm for challenges and new initiatives are prerequisites as well as being open for promotion by learning and understanding construction methods and developing good construction management skills.
- Work diligently with the internal construction team.
- Able to communicate with subcontractors and labourers.
- Able to perform in a fast-paced environment.
- Walking, lifting, etc.
- Able to work on an active construction site.
- Willingness to contribute actively in a team environment
- Proficient in the English language (written, reading and speaking)
- Ability to communicate and develop relations.
- Valid License