The Technical Manager (“TM”) for Mobilinx Hurontario General Partnership (“MHGP” and “SPV”), representing the equity shareholders for the Hurontario Light Rail Transit Project (the “Project”), a new LRT system in Mississauga and Brampton, Ontario, which is to consist of 18 at-grade stops and one station, as well as approximately 18 kilometres of semi-exclusive at- grade guideway. The Project includes an Operations, Maintenance and Storage Facility (“OMSF”), which will accommodate the light rail vehicles. John Laing is seeking to identify a TM with experience at the project level. The TM will be employed by John Laing and seconded to the Project.
The TM will be an integral member of the SPV team tasked with oversight of the Project through the ongoing design and construction phase and into the operational phase. Project operations are provided by two subcontracted parties – a Design Build JV (“DBJV”) and an Operations and Maintenance JV (“OMJV”). The role will report and work in close day-to-day coordination with the Chief Technical Officer (“CTO”) and other Project team members.
Furthermore, the TM may be required to contribute to broader initiatives within the John Laing portfolio and within John Laing corporately.
The principal responsibilities of the TM will be to support the CTO’s efforts in the following areas:
Design and construction
- Ensure that the DBJV complies with the design and construction-related provisions of the DB Agreement;
- Monitor, evaluate and manage the DBJV’s compliance with the Project Agreement, Technical Requirements, the QA/QC Plan, and any legal or regulatory requirements and approved policies, procedures and plans – liaise with the Quality Director for this;
- Support and oversee vehicle and systems testing and commissioning activities;
- Work closely with the Quality Director and Environmental Director to manage the Quality and Environmental programs, as well as any related issues that arise; and
- Lead Variations process on behalf of MHGP, coordinating with DBJV and Client all Variation steps as per the project
- Ensure compliance with Health, Safety and Environmental (“HSE”) programs, legislation and standards;
- Assist the CTO with the relationship with the DBJV’s Technical, O&M team and Interface teams. Assist with considering and implementing strategies to consider the maintainability of the asset and the ability to deliver the Operations, Maintenance and Rehabilitation Plan and to ensure the smooth handover from construction to
- Manage the relationship between MHGP, the DBJV and OMJV, ensuring party obligations under the Interface Agreement are met. Track Interface Control Documents resolutions and
Supporting the MHGP Management Team
- Review/analyze reports provided by contractors and prepare a variety of correspondence, presentations and reports to the Management Team, the Client, and the Lenders;
- Provide input to the Project Risk Register and update as appropriate; ensure proper mitigation and monitoring of the project risks;
- Provide input into MHGP monthly reports, Board materials covering key interface, design and construction issues and provide timely and accurate information and reports to the CTO and management team and shareholders in agreed format(s);
- Undertake other duties as determined by the MHGP CTO and/or CEO
IDEAL EXPERIENCE AND COMPETENCIES
- More than five (> 5) years of experience in construction, rail/transit and infrastructure projects, such as heavy civil, rail and bridge, with at least some experience with large ($100M+) complex projects. Rail/transit experience should include relevant projects with systems integration.
- Experience working with technical and construction teams in order to discuss technical and contracts administration matters, also conduct construction inspections;
- Practical knowledge of project management focused on construction projects;
- Proficiency in reviewing project schedules;
- Risk management experience with the ability to identify project issues and risks;
- Interface management, handover from construction to operations, maintenance and rehabilitation considerations on rail assets;
- Basic understanding or experience with project companies and P3
- Prior experience with Client’s projects, with at least some experience with large complex projects;
- Experience with diverse consortiums with multiple stakeholders;
CHARACTERISTICS, QUALIFICATIONS AND LEADERSHIP CAPABILITIES
- Engineering degree, construction and/or project management, or equivalent
- Team player with strong communication and interpersonal skills;
- Ability to develop and maintain cooperative working relationships with multidisciplinary teams and produce required project deliverables;
- Problem solver; ability to influence and persuade others;
- Ability to multi-task, work under pressure and deliver effectively;
- Ability to work a flexible schedule as required by the Project;
- Can identify project risks and implement effective risk mitigation plans/strategies;
- Business/commercial acumen;
- Creative influencing and negotiation abilities;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills;
- Highly driven – self-motivated to see a project through to a successful.
MORE ABOUT US
We are an equal opportunities employer. At John Laing, we value the unique skills, experiences and backgrounds of every employee, and have a wide range of D&I initiatives across the organisation. We make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills. We welcome applications from all members of society irrespective of age, sex, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or belief.